Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

1/30/2012

Birth Plan

Here is our birth plan, Mike and I know things may change once labor actually hits but this is what we are hoping for:

We are excited to have you as part of our birth team. Below are a few general ideas of our expectation for our labor and birth experience.


Labor
- We intend to have a Natural Birth
- We know pain medication and an epidural is available, please do not offer them. We will ask if we want them.
- Please help us by suggesting natural pain relief options.
- Help us to keep the birthing room calm, quiet and as peaceful as possible.
- Intermittent fetal monitoring and a heparin lock are preferred. Megan will naturally hydrate with water.
- We would like to be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits and have my labor augmented only if necessary.
- When pushing I’d like to do it instinctively and be allowed to progress without a time constraint as long as the baby and I are doing ok. Please suggest numerous positions while pushing; if I seem to not be progressing.
- I would prefer not to have an episiotomy.

If a C-section becomes necessary we would like:
- Mike to present at all times during the operation
- the screen lowered a bit so I can see my baby being delivered
- the baby to be given to Mike as soon as s/he's dried, if appropriate
- to breastfeed my baby in the recovery room

After birth:
- Mike would like to cut the cord, if baby is healthy please wait until after the cord as stopped pulsing
- We do not know the sex of the baby, Mike would like to announce the sex.
- If a medical emergency shall arise with the baby, Mike will accompany the baby at all times
- Immediate skin to skin contact with mom is planned
- We plan to breastfeed and would like to within the first hour. Please hold all testing, weighing and bath until we have had a chance to try and bond.
- Please do not offer the baby a bottle or a pacifier
- All tests on baby shall be done in our presence, preferably in our room.

2 comments:

  1. OOOHHH Megan! I am so excited for you! I had a natural birth too (only needed an IV for fluids because I puked up everything that day and was getting dehydrated enough that the baby was stressed). My birth plan was pretty similar to yours and my midwives were awesome about it.

    Call me if you want to talk about it/ ask questions! Good luck and just remember that you were created for this!

    Amelia 952-334-0825

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should do what you want to do! I think that's a great idea to have a plan already mapped out.

    ReplyDelete