Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

4/22/2010

Happy Earth Day

Happy 40th Earth Day.
Here are easy things Mike and I do to be more Green, that you can do too:
  • Bring your own shopping bags to all store not just grocery store.
  • Change your light bumps to the longer lasting ones.
  • Have a clothes line, even though we can not have on outside, we have on at the back of our garage.
  • Only run the dish washer when it is full
  • Give away, swap or donate items you no longer need or want vs. tossing them.
  • Use a reusable water bottle vs. one time use plastic bottles.
  • Buy in bulk, it uses much less packaging.
  • Join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) This not only forces you to eat healthier there is not all the waste of plastic bags like at a grocery store produce area.
  • Bring a Plate, Bowl, and set of silver ware to leave in our office at work, instead of using disposable plates and plastic ware.
  • Use Cloth Napkins for eating and towels/rags for cleaning vs. paper products.
  • Think about what is in your food before you eat it, homemade is always better for you and taste wise than boxed, packaged or eating out.
  • Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
  • Keep the heat at a minimum, we have ours set at 60-65 all winter
  • I no longer use Tampons/Pads instead I use a Diva Cup www.divacup.com (Sorry to the Guys who are reading)
I have been thinking a lot about being greener lately here are a list of things I would like to say we are doing next year:
  • Making our own cleaning supplies with vinegar, baking soda etc. vs cleaning our home with chemicals.
  • start a planter garden with herbs and a few other things
  • make most if not all our bread at home
  • Bike to work
  • buy more "new" things at 2nd hand stores (I am really bad about clothes especially, addicted to Kohl's)
  • Eat more veggies and fruit and less Meat and dairy
  • Eliminate most Plastic in the kitchen
  • Eliminate our use of Paper Towels.
  • Buy 100% organic
(now I just have to get Mike to sign off on the list...)

No comments:

Post a Comment